A confidential, peer-to-peer program, peer coaching provides a unique opportunity to enrich and enhance your teaching practice.
CTE peer coaches are USF faculty members with training in consultation and support for faculty. A peer coach will work with you to decide what kinds of support or feedback would be most helpful or valuable.
Peer Coaching at USF has two core principles:
- Professionals benefit from collaboration. We often collaborate in our research and creative work, and we collaborate in our service to the University, to our disciplines, and to our communities. Peer coaching is a way for us to collaborate in our teaching.
- Reflection and self-assessment are essential to growth. You are the owner of your pedagogy; a peer coach focuses on supporting you in making your own good decisions about your own teaching.
Peer coaching works at any stage of your teaching process, from your first thoughts about a new course to the post-semester moment when you receive Teaching Effectiveness Survey reports. From the early stages of designing or revising a syllabus or assignment to mid-semester feedback or adjustments to reflecting on a course that you’ve concluded, a peer coach can help.
A peer coach will never report results to anyone other than you. The process is 100% confidential, and you own the results. If requested, CTE will provide a letter to you, indicating that you participated in the peer coaching process.
The First Step: Flexible Consultation Request
The Peer Coaching process begins with a conversation about your goals. Working with your peer coach in a short initial meeting, you’ll decide on what next steps will be most valuable for you.
Next steps might involve:
- A focus on syllabi or other course documents
- Analyzing or soliciting feedback from students
- Observing your coach’s class and/or inviting the coach to observe yours
In each of these areas, a peer coach’s role is to clarify your goals, serve as a resource and connect you with resources, help you develop your teaching practices, and help you tell the story of the great things happening in your classroom.
Start the process with the quick request form linked below. We’ll put one of our peer coaches in touch with you.
If you're interested in learning more about the benefits of peer coaching, check out our reading list.